Butler's Green represents the last remnant of Sudbury Common, which until the early-18th century covered around 234 acres in this area.
Butler's Green land had been owned by Sir William Perkin (1838-1907), a Methodist and scientist. The site was purchased in 1920 from Perkin's Trustees and was opened as Sudbury Recreation Ground. It was renamed after Edwin Butler who had a grocer's shop at 791 Harrow Road, and who was much involved in local affairs, an advocate of acquiring open land for public recreational use.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Sudbury Town (Piccadilly). London Overground/Rail/Tube (Bakerloo): Wembley Central then bus. Rail: Sudbury and Harrow Road. Bus: 18, 92, 182, 204.
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)