In 1954 the whole site including that of the house, which was demolished, was laid out as a park. In the south was a children's playground, paddling pool and games courts with the rest landscaped with trees, shrubs, lawns and an ornamental pond that remains an important a feature.
Agnes Riley Gardens were formerly the grounds of Oakfield House owned by Frederick George Riley. In 1931 Mr Riley offered his property to the LCC as a gift on condition that the 0.81 hectares of garden were made into a public open space and named Agnes Riley Memorial Garden. At that time the LCC was redeveloping this area, which contained a number of large houses. Mr Riley lived in the house until his death but in 1937 transferred the garden to the LCC. Its layout as a public park began in 1938 but was interrupted by World War 2 when the site was used partly for allotments and partly for military purposes, although a temporary playground existed. Mr Riley died in 1942. In 1952 the word 'Memorial' was dropped from the name.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open from 7.30am - 15 minutes before sunset.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open from 7.30am - 15 minutes before sunset.
DirectionsTube: Clapham South Northern). Bus:4, 57, 137, 255, 417
London Parks and Gardens Trust