Clapham Common is partly in Lambeth, partly in Wandsworth and was formerly two commons belonging to the neighbouring parishes.
Its importance for recreation was early acknowledged and it was subject to landscape improvement from 1722 onwards. In 1836 a management committee secured a lease from the two lords of the manor. Following the Metropolitan Commons Act of 1866 the MBW assumed responsibility for a number of commons including Clapham, which it purchased in 1877, and introduced a programme of improvements and facilities. In 1890 a reproduction of the bandstand in the Royal Horticultural Society's gardens at Kensington was erected on Clapham Common, which was restored and formally reopened in October 2011.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Clapham Common, Clapham South. Bus: 4, 35, 37, 88, 137, 155, 255, 345, 355, 417, G1
London Parks and Gardens Trust