Windmill Gardens opened in 1962 and restoration of the old windmill began in 1963 and it first opened to the public in the Easter of 1968. Some restoration works have taken place in recent years.
Windmill Gardens is named for the windmill that was in use between 1816 -1862 and again between 1902-34, after which it closed and was used for storage. Outbuildings were demolished by bombing in WWII. In 1957 the windmill and surrounding land were purchased by the LCC, with further land added in 1960 and 1961.
Visitor FacilitiesThe gardens are open from 7.30am - 15 minutes before sunset.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe gardens are open from 7.30am - 15 minutes before sunset.
DirectionsRail/Tube: Brixton (Victoria) then bus. Bus: 118, 250, 133, 433, 45, 159, 59
London Parks and Gardens Trust