The garden was designated a Peace Garden in the 1980s and it has flower beds and a water feature.
St Matthew's Church was one of the four 'Waterloo' churches built in Lambeth following the Napoleonic wars. The churchyard was officially closed for burials in 1853. The southern part of the former burial ground was conveyed to Lambeth Borough Council for a public garden in 1953, the northern part in 1958. Road realignments in 1960 altered the site, extending it to the north-east and reducing it to the north-west.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail/Tube: Brixton (Victoria)
London Parks and Gardens Trust