A bust of Sir Henry Tate was erected by public subscription and the garden was laid out with raised flower beds and surrounded with railings. In 1937 a small area was taken for road widening and in 1965-66 it was re-landscaped. A new public square was created on adjacent land in 1998, named Windrush Square. In 2009/10 the area incorporating both spaces was redesigned to create one open space as part of Brixton Town Centre Masterplan, with new planting, lighting and seating.
The site was once part of Rush/Rushey Common. Houses built here in 1839 were demolished when the new library was built in 1893, paid for by Henry Tate, who had settled in Streatham Common at Park Hill in 1884. After his death in 1899 his widow commemorated his considerable philanthropy by the purchase of Brixton Oval, which she presented to the local Council for a public garden in 1905, to be called the Tate Library Garden.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail/ Tube (Victoria): Brixton. Bus: 2, 3, 35, 37, 45, 59, 109, 118, 133, 159, 196, 250, 333, 415, 432, P4, P5
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)