Winstanley Park 6598

Wigan, Greater Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

Winstanley Park has a hall with extensive parkland. The hall dates from 1590, with additions in 1818 and 1840. There were fountains in the park, close to the conservatory and to the western drive. A particular feature was the listed Neptune Fountain. The motorway now cuts across the western part of the park and the boundary belt has been lost. The site is now a golf course.

Detailed Description

Winstanley Park has a hall with extensive parkland. The hall dates from 1590, with additions in 1818 and 1840. It is central to the site. There was extensive boundary planting to the west with a lodge and very long drive from the south-western corner of the site. The drive leads almost directly to the hall but the planting of clumps of trees along its route, particularly at the end of Lea Wood, would provide changing views of the hail as the visitor approached. A second drive, also with a lodge, joins the main one at the edge of Lea Wood.

There are many individual trees throughout the park. A kitchen garden, wood and moat were to the north of the hall, with a conservatory and lakes in Mossey Wood to the south-west. There were fountains in the park, close to the conservatory and to the western drive. A particular feature was the listed Neptune Fountain. Other important buildings include the stables, barn, estate offices gates and farmhouses. The site remains extant. The motorway now cuts across the western part of the park and the boundary belt has been lost. The site is now a golf course.

Features
  • Hall (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Electoral Ward

  • Winstanley
History

Period

  • 16th Century
References

References

Contributors

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit