Alexandra Park, Wigan 6498

Wigan, Greater Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

Alexandra Park is a public park bounded by Victoria Street on the north-west and a railway line on the south. The site is surrounded by housing development. The park is roughly rectangular in plan and is divided by an axial path and a number of cross paths. There was a tree and shrub nursery at the western end of the park and most of the floral displays concentrated on roses. Amenities included two bowling greens, eight tennis courts, a putting green, a children's play park and space for unorganised games.

History

The park was presented to the public by Colonel Blundell and taken over by the Corporation when the borough boundary was extended in 1904. In 1929 two acres were added to the park

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.wlct.org/Leisure/Green%20Spaces/gfparks.htm
Features
  • Bowling Green
  • Earliest Date:
  • Obelisk
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.wlct.org/Leisure/Green%20Spaces/gfparks.htm
History

Period

  • Early 20th Century
References

References

Contributors

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit