Wigan Hall 6597

Wigan, Greater Manchester, Greater Manchester, England

Brief Description

Wigan Hall had a hall with gardens, orchard and a small park. The site is bounded to the west by the North Union Line, with Frog Lane (later New Market Street) to the south. There were open fields to the north and east. The site was greatly simplified by the end of the 19th century. The hall was also the rectory, as the rectors of Wigan were also lords of the manor. The present building is by Street and dates from 1875. The gatehouse, with a lower section of stone and an upper part half-timbered, is of the same design as the house. There was a Perpendicular font in the garden, which was octagonal with quatrefoil decoration. The building survives, but the grounds have been developed for schools.

Features
  • Hall (featured building)
  • Description: The present building is by Street and dates from 1875. The building survives, but the grounds have been developed for schools.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
References

References

Contributors

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit