Orrell Mount 6576

Wigan, Greater Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

Orrell Mount is an 18th-century house with grounds and a park to the east of Orrell Post. Orrell Cottage lies to the east, with open fields to the north. There is possibly evidence of subdivision of the site on the western boundary along the line of the road for houses. There is a small pond to the rear of the house with a turret at the eastern edge of the pleasure ground. The park lies to the north. The former field boundaries are still clear. There has been some thickening of the planting along the northern boundary of the park.

History

The park was reduced by the late-19th-century with increasing subdivision of plots along Orrell Road and encroachment by the buildings of Lamberhead Green. The site was occupied by a community of Benedictine nuns in 1821. The community had left France in 1792 during the Revolution.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: Orrell Mount is an 18th-century house.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pond
  • Description: There is a small pond to the rear of the house.
History

Period

  • 18th Century
References

References