Bispham Hall (also known as Bispham Hall Scout Estate)6513

Wigan, Greater Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

Bispham Hall is a hall with park to the east of Brownlow Lane. The park to the south of the hall has a small pond or lake and a thickly-wooded boundary belt. There is a possible walled kitchen garden to the south-west of the hall. The park had been reduced by the late-19th-century and the wooded area to the south of the hall greatly increased. This area incorporates the Wellington Monument of 1815 and a monument to Dash, believed to be a favourite horse. The site remains extant. The hall was gutted by fire in 1977 but was restored by the Vivat Trust.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The house is an important Elizabethan brick house with stone quoins of E shaped plan. Parts of the house date from 1573 with early-17th-century additions.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Tree Belt
  • Description: There is a thickly-wooded boundary belt.
  • Pond
  • Description: The park to the south of the hall has a small pond or lake.
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: There is a possible walled kitchen garden to the south-west of the hall.
  • Statue
  • Description: The Wellington Monument.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Statue
  • Description: There is a monument to Dash, believed to be a favourite horse.
History

Period

  • Tudor (1485-1603)
References

References

Contributors

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit