Windmill Hill Place (also known as Windmill Hill Place Tennis Resort)5726

Eastbourne, England, East Sussex, Wealden

Brief Description

The site was described as a substantial mansion with offices, pleasure grounds, barns and stables. It was surrounded by woods and plantations. Features included a large rookery and a small heronry. It is unclear how many of these features still exist. The site was recently a golf and tennis club, but has been sold and its current use is unknown.

History

An extract from Herstmonceux Tenement Analysis reads: 'It is possible that present day Windmill Hill Place was constructed upon a virgin site soon after 1721'. It had belonged to the Luxford family since 1592.

Detailed Description

From Horsfield (1835): ‘The estate of Windmill Hill was for some centuries the property and residence of the ancient family of Luxford or Lunsford and was bequeathed by the last remaining member of that family, in the year 1739 to his widow and by her left to her niece who married - Comyns Esq. Their son Stephen sold it to his brother-in-law, William Pigou (who) pulled down the old house which had been there from time immemorial and on the same scite (sic) erected the present mansion... Mr Pigou sold it to Edward Jeremiah Curteis.'

Windmill Hill was sold as ‘being a substantial capital mansion house with convenient offices, pleasure ground and garden fit for the residence of a gentleman with barns, stables and convenient offices for the occupation of 164 acres.'

‘The house is well-sheltered by woods and plantations to the north and east and standing on an eminence commands delightful and extensive views over the South Downs and Pevensey Bay. Here is a very large rookery and what is not now common in this country, close to the house is a small heronry.'

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The house was designed by Willey Reveley for William Pigou.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pond
  • Description: There was a chain of three large ponds. These may or may not exist any longer.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Wartling
History

Detailed History

An extract from Herstmonceux Tenement Analysis reads: ‘It is possible that present day Windmill Hill Place was constructed upon a virgin site soon after 1721'. (It had belonged to the Luxford family since 1592.) George Luxford obtained permission to divert a footpath near his mansion house in 1723. Property, fields and other buildings were added during the 18th and 19th centuries.

The house was designed by Willey Reveley, the architect of All Saints Southampton, for William Pigou.

Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here
References

References

Contributors

  • Barbara Abbs

    1

  • Sussex Gardens Trust