The Nursery featured grounds with specimen trees, architectural antiquities, and other garden ornaments.
The Nursery is a house and grounds of the late 18th and 19th centuries, laid out by the polymath father and son John (died 1808) and J.F.M. Dovaston (died 1854). The house and grounds were demolished in the 1980s.
The Nursery, north of Twyford Cross in West Felton, was the home of John Dovaston, and his son, the writer and poet J.F.M. Dovaston. The grounds of the Nursery contained various architectural antiquities, a small obelisk, and J.F.M. Dovaston's rock collection. In 1829, after a quarrel with the village parson, J.F.M. Dovaston formed nine of the larger geological specimens into a cromlech or pseudo-prehistoric tomb, which he inteded as his burial place. However, by the time of his death he had reconciled with the church.
By the late 19th century, The Nursery grounds contained a great number of specimen trees, supposedly representative of every country on earth. The most famous was the celebrated Dovaston Yew (planted around 1777), thought to be the country's oldest surviving example.
- Description: There was a small obelisk in the gardens.
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
- West Felton
- 18th Century
- Late 18th Century
- Associated People