Tedsmore Hall 6642

West Felton, England, Shropshire

Brief Description

Tedsmore Hallwas built in 1768, and further developed in the second half of the 19th century. By the 19th century it was surrounded by well-respected grounds, with long avenues, walks, shrubberies, kitchen gardens and an ice-house.

History

Tedsmore Hall was built in 1768 for Richard Bulkeley

Hatchett. In 1884 it was the home of the Revd. T. Bulkeley Owen.

Features
  • Country House (featured building)
  • Description: Mid-18th-century build, with 19th-century gothick alterations.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Avenue
  • Description: Double tree-lined avenue, over half a mile long. There was also a carriage approach, and smaller designed walks were present by 1884.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Shrubbery
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Icehouse
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Planter
  • Description: 13 bell jars / hand glasses offered for sale in 1836.
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • West Felton
History

Detailed History

Tedsmore Hall, in West Felton, was built in 1768 for Richard Bulkeley Hatchett, being remodelled and extended in a gothick style in the mid and later 19th century.

By 1817 it was surrounded by grounds approached from the west by a fine double avenue of trees over a half mile long. In the later 19th century shrubberies and walks lay north of the Hall, and kitchen gardens and an ice-house to the east. The main carriage approach, guarded by a lodge, lay to the south-west.

In 1884 Tedsmore Hall was the home of the Revd. T. Bulkeley Owen. Its gardens were highly regarded, and the subject of a lengthy article in The Gardeners' Chronicle.

Period

  • 18th Century
Associated People
References

References