Underhill Hall (also known as Underhill, Shropshire)6714

Smethcott, England, Shropshire

Brief Description

Underhill Hall dates from the 17th century or earlier. Later, it was used as a hunting lodge. From the mid-18th century, there was a small park with fishponds.

History

The hall and grounds date from at least the mid-18th century.

Detailed Description

Underhill Hall is a timber-framed building of 17th-century or earlier date, remodelled and enlarged in the late 17th century. In 1722 it passed to the Powys family of Beswick who, like later owners, seem to have used it as a hunting lodge. By 1755 Henry Powys had laid out a small park and stocked two ponds with fish.

Features
  • Fishpond
  • Description: Two fishponds.
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Smethcott
References

References