Longden Manor 5660

Longden, England, Shropshire

Brief Description

A park was formed around Longden Manor after 1858 by Henry de Grey Warter. At the end of the 19th century it extended over 260 acres. By that time three lodges had been constructed: Oaks Hall Lodge to the west, Longden Lodge to the east, and Hayes Lodge to the south. At the southern edge of the village, there is also an octagonal brick gazebo of the late 19th century.

History

Longden Manor park was formed after 1858, and had been expanded to about 260 acres by the end of the 19th century. Longden Manor house was pulled down in the mid-20th century.

Features
  • Gazebo
  • Description: At the southern entrance to the village, near what would have been the edge of the park, there is a summerhouse gazebo. It is octagonal, constructed of brick and ashlar, and has an ornate pyramid roof.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate Lodge
  • Description: By the late 19th century there were three lodges in Longden Manor park, to the east, west, and south.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Longden
History

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
References

References