The grounds were laid out in the mid-19th century, on an earlier medieval manorial estate.
William Hanbury Sparrow purchased the manorial estate in 1846 and moved to Habberley Hall. He soon added a south wing, laid out the garden, and formed a 22 acre (about 9 hectare) park in the fields to the west of the Hall.
The grounds (which date back to the designs instituted under Hanbury Sparrow), include many fine trees, including a particularly impressive Cedar of Lebanon, as well as Beech, Oak, Lime, Larch, and Scot Pine.
- Manor House (featured building)
- Description: Habberley Hall provides a good example of late-16th century timberwork. The double-gabled frontage dates back to 1593, and features a jettied first floor that with close studding and diagonal bracing with concentric lozenges. The effect is similar to that seen at Pitchford Hall. Habberley Hall's many star-sectioned chimneys are also of note, while a range of early-19th-century farm buildings to the east has been converted for domestic use.
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
- Specimen Tree
- Description: Ceadr of Lebanon.
- Access & Directions
The village of Habberley is lies 8 miles SW of Shrewsbury, off
A manor house is known to have stood on the site of Habberley Hall (at the village crossroads) since at least 1380. It stands on a small mound, which may suggest that there was once a castle on the spot. Dendrochronological analysis has showed some of the timbers in the present house to have felling dates in the 1550s. In its original guise, this building was a typical medieval open hall: a box-framed structure, jettied on all four sides. The central section was left open for the provision of a smoke-hood. Later, an external chimney stack was added at the rear of the hall, and the area was floored over. In 1593, the hall was was adapted by William Leighton, who added 2 box-framed cross-wings. There are multiple documentary references and architectural insciptions to this work.
The hall was adapted again in the early 17th century, while further alterations (this time in brick rather than timber) were made by William Hanbury Sparrow, after he took over ownership of the hall in 1846. Most obvious is a prominent 19th-century wing, but piecemeal development is visible throughout the Hall. Alterations in stone date back to the early 20th century.
The grounds probably owe their design to Sparrow's period of ownership.