Tyrells Hall, Shepreth 5681

Shepreth, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, England

Brief Description

Features of Tyrells Hall include ornamental buildings, fishponds, a greenhouse and a walled kitchen garden.

History

The grounds of Tyrells Hall were laid out in the early-19th century.

Detailed Description

From 1759 until the 20th century, Tyrells Hall was owned by the Woodham family, who laid out the park following enclosure in 1823. They also added ornamental buildings to the park including an elaborate cottage at the entrance which has now been turned into a thatched motel.

Sale documents of 1953 list fishponds, trout stream, heated greenhouse and peach wall, walled kitchen garden, small orchard and informal Italian garden. The layout is today simplified but many original features not mentioned in the sale document survive-medieval moats, flint mock miniature castle tower, Victorian bath house and timber summer house. The boundary planting around the 12 hectare park conceals the village dwellings on two sides.

Features
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Fishpond
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Greenhouse
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Orchard
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Summerhouse
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Moat
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Bath House
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Shepreth
History

Detailed History

Tyrells Hall, an 18th-century house, remodelled in the early-19th century, is situated in the centre of its own timbered parkland and was originally approached by a carriage drive from the A10 to the south.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust