The cemetery entrance on Cockfosters Road is via semi-circular iron gates in a red brick wall, which leads to a wide tarmac roadway running through the cemetery. A small brick chapel is on the left of the entrance and contains a Book of Remembrance. In front of the chapel is some ornamental planting in an oval lawn. Either side of the road are rows of trees, mostly conifers, between which in places are rows of small memorials.
Trent Park Cemetery was opened in 1960 by Islington Council and was designed as a lawn cemetery. The land was formerly in agricultural use but had once been part of the hunting park of Enfield Chase.
Visitor FacilitiesNovember to February 9am - 4pm; March, April, September, October 9am - 5.30pm; May to August 9am - 7pm; Christmas Day: 10am - 2pm
Detailed DescriptionTrent Park Cemetery was opened in 1960 by Islington Council. The land was formerly in agricultural use but had once been part of the hunting park of Enfield Chase at its far western edge. When the Chase was enclosed after 1777 a small part was retained as a miniature hunting park and became Trent Park, which by mid-C19th covered 1,215 ha. A farm called West Farm existed at Cockfosters from at least the C16th and was added to the Trent Park estate in the C19th. The cemetery has a small brick chapel near the entrance that contains a Book of Remembrance.
Reference to Jones Burial Ground in Museum of London Archaeological Services (MOLAS) report - extracts of information from Derek Sealey; The Paul Drury Partnership for LB Enfield, 'Trent Park Conservation Area Character Appraisal', 2006
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=ENF047
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsNovember to February 9am - 4pm; March, April, September, October 9am - 5.30pm; May to August 9am - 7pm; Christmas Day: 10am - 2pm
DirectionsTube: Cockfosters, Oakwood (Piccadilly). Bus: 121, 298, 299, 307, 384
London Parks and Gardens Trust