Suburban housing was built over the estate in the 1930s for Laing's South Lodge Estate but the old boundary is still traceable in lines of residential streets. The lake, once a larger body of water, is fringed with mature trees.
The small lake at Lakeside was once within the C18th landscape park of South Lodge, which originated as one of the 3 lodges built for keepers when Enfield Chase was divided into 3 walks c.1419. William Pitt acquired the lease of South Lodge in 1747 and improved the house and laid out the grounds, enhancing 2 existing lakes with a wooded island and rustic bridge, and setting other features in an Arcadian landscape. A plaque on a house in Merryhills Drive indicates where the old South Lodge once stood, and records William Pitt's association.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Enfield Chase then bus. Tube: Oakwood (Piccadilly) then bus. Bus: 517
- 18th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust