The Corporation of London acquired the ruins in 1967, which with the former churchyard were incorporated into a well-designed garden, which opened to the public in 1971.
There has been a church here from ancient times, with a large churchyard in existence by the C12th. St Dunstan-in-the-East suffered damage in the Great Fire of 1666, after which the shell was repaired by Christopher Wren in 1695-1701, who added the tower and steeple. The church was rebuilt in 1817-21, but destroyed by enemy action in 1941 although the spire was reconstructed in 1953, and the tower later restored in 1970/1.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open from 8am - 7pm or dusk if earlier.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open from 8am - 7pm or dusk if earlier.
DirectionsTube: Bank (Central, DLR, Northern, Waterloo & City) / Monument, Tower Hill (Circle, District). Bus: 15, 42, 78, 100, RV1, N15
- Associated People
Just one person associated to St Dunstan-in-the-East
London Parks and Gardens Trust