The churchyard was once larger, reduced when Tower Hill Terrace was created in the east and Tower Place in the south. Closed for burials in the 1850s it was being used as public open space by 1875. The remaining garden area lies at the east end of the church, with areas of grass, trees and shrubs with some tombs and gravestones. In the 1990s a restaurant adjoining the garden was built as part of improvement works.
The Abbey of Barking owned land in the City and built a small church here around AD 675, hence the church's former name. There is evidence of a Saxon church and Saxon coffins have been found, also a section of 2nd-century Roman pavement. Samuel Pepys, William Penn and John Quincy-Adams, later the 6th President of the USA, are among those associated with the church. Much of the old church, which had survived the Fire of London, was destroyed in WWII, the new building dedicated in 1957.
Visitor Facilitiesunrestricted; church open Mon-Fri 8am-6pm, Sat/Sun 10am-5pm except during services. Closed Bank Holidays.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact Detailsunrestricted; church open Mon-Fri 8am-6pm, Sat/Sun 10am-5pm except during services. Closed Bank Holidays.
DirectionsTube: Tower Hill (District, Circle)
- Mid 19th Century
Official WebsiteClick Here
Diocese of London