The simple rectangular garden is bounded by railings and laid out symmetrically with a central path, well shaded by trees. Either side of the gate are rose beds to commemorate permission given in 1381 to Sir Robert Knollys to construct a bridge across Seething Lane (since vanished) for which the City annually charged him one red rose. In 1983 a bronze bust of Pepys was erected by the Samuel Pepys Club with funds raised by public subscription.
This was the site of the Navy Office, founded in 1656, in the garden of which Samuel Pepys and Sir William Penn reputedly buried their wine and parmesan cheese for safety from the Fire of London on 4 September 1666. A new Navy Office was built in 1682-3 designed by Christopher Wren, but was demolished in 1788 when warehouses were built. The word 'Seething' may originate from a medieval word 'sifethen' meaning 'full of chaff', so-called after the nearby Corn Market.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open weekdays only until dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open weekdays only until dusk.
DirectionsRail: Fenchurch Street. Tube: Tower Hill (District, Circle). DLR: Tower Gateway.
London Parks and Gardens Trust