Barnsbury Wood is an area of woodland between Thornhill Crescent and Huntingdon Street left as open land when the Thornhill Estate was built in the 1850s. It is now managed for ecology and is the smallest nature reserve in London.
It was originally the garden of the Vicarage of St Andrew's Church. The garden was later abandoned and became woodland. It was purchased by Islington Council in 1974, originally to build on but due to the awkwardness of access it was decided to leave it as open space.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open Tuesdays 2 - 4pm; Saturdays from July-Sept 2 - 4pm + access by arrangement, plus open days.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open Tuesdays 2 - 4pm; Saturdays from July-Sept 2 - 4pm + access by arrangement, plus open days.
DirectionsLondon Overground:Caledonian Road & Barnsbury.Rail:King's Cross.Tube:Caledonian Road, King's Cross (Met; Picc, Vic; Ham & City, Circle, Northern)then bus.Bus: 17, 91, 153, 259, 274
- Victorian (1837-1901)
London Parks and Gardens Trust