North of the church a paved churchyard has a number of tombs, beyond this is a raised area laid out as a small garden containing the 18th-century memorial to Iohannes Hiccocks, the tomb of Oliver Goldsmith, and gravestones set into the paving.
St Mary's Church was built in the late-12th century by the Knights Templar who moved here from Holborn. The round church was first consecrated in 1185; a larger chancel was added and its consecration in 1240 was attended by Henry III. The Knights Templar were dissolved in 1312 and in 1324 their Temple property was given to the Knights of the Order of St John, who subsequently leased it to a society of students of the common laws of England. This later formed into two societies, those of the Inner and the Middle Temple, who in 1608 were granted the freehold in perpetuity for use as a place of study and residence. The Temple Church escaped the Great Fire of 1666 but was badly damaged in 1941 and restored in 1954.
Visitor FacilitiesChurchyard garden and Church Court unrestricted. Church: open daily but check website for details.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsChurchyard garden and Church Court unrestricted. Church: open daily but check website for details.
DirectionsTube: Temple (District and Circle)
- Medieval (1066-1540)
- 12th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust