In response to public concern about threat of development Mitcham Common was secured by Act of Parliament in 1891. Land south of Croydon Road became a public golf course in the 1890s, and land in the north was used for playing fields.
Mitcham Common is ancient commonland that once extended much further and before clearance in Neolithic times was oak woodlands. It was divided between four manors and was long used for agriculture and grazing, and from the early C19th for gravel extraction.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Mitcham Junction. Tramlink: Mitcham Junction, Beddington Lane. Bus: 264, 118, 127
London Parks and Gardens Trust