Sugnall Demesne (also known as Sugnall Park)3175

Eccleshall, England, Staffordshire, Stafford

Brief Description

Originally an 18th-century ferme ornee (ornamental farm), much of the park is now pasture with some woodland and arable.

Detailed Description

Much of the park is now farmed, mostly as pasture but with some arable and areas of woodland. A string of fishponds and a large mere with a boathouse lie to the south. The lake and vistas are good, and suggest a possible ferme ornee. The remains of the old hall lie next to the former kitchen garden, which has walls intact, but is in use as a nursery.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: Sugnall Old Hall was built in the early-17th century and rebuilt in the 1770s. It was demolished around 1880.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: Now in use as a nursery.
  • Fishpond
  • Description: A string of fishponds.
Ferme Ornee, Boat House, Pool
Access & Directions

Directions

The site is two and a half miles north-west of Eccleshall on the B5026.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Eccleshall
History

Detailed History

In 1732, when John Campbell, Viscount Glenorchy, inherited through his wife Arabella Pershall, there were ten acres of garden, a bowling green and an orchard.

Campbell cleared away the gardens close by the house, and created a ferme ornee between 1732 and 1742. This was based around chains of earlier pools running down to a mere. He also built the walled kitchen garden between 1737 and 1738, and a Gothick boathouse dated to around 1745, possibly by Thomas Wright.

There were minor changes (for example, the springhead, small temple and planting) associated with 1770s rebuilding, and also with late-19th century and early-20th century sport.

Associated People
References

References