Eccleshall Castle 1218

Stafford, England, Staffordshire, Stafford

Brief Description

There is an ancient moat (drained and planted with herbaceous plants) to the south and east, which is crossed by a medieval bridge. The grove was planted around 1700. The ponds were drained in stages between the 1760s and 1790s, and the Grove was turned into a shrubbery. Currently the lodge and wooded area remain on the main approach, and there is a lime avenue along the rear approach via Chester Lodge.

History

The Bishop of Lichfield was licenced to crenellate in 1200, the same date as his licence for Blore Park three miles away. John Leland noted 5 fair ponds around the castle around 1540. It was beseiged in the Civil War and the palace was rebuilt by 1695 within the walls. It remained the seat of the Bishops of Lichfield until 1866.

Detailed Description

The present building dates from 1695, though it featues 18th-century alterations. There is a moat (now drained and planted with herbs and shrubs) to the south and east, crossed by a medieval bridge. Opposite this are the remains of an icehouse, with brickwork removed to ground level. There is a considerable variety of trees, and recent planting is sympathetic. Around the other sides of the house, the moat is infilled and grassed, with service buildings and barns. A former lime avenue is extant, but due to building alterations is now aligned to the service buildings.
Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Dry Moat
  • Description: There is a moat (now drained and planted with herbs and shrubs) to the south and east.
  • Pond
  • Description: The ponds have been drained.
  • Tree Avenue
  • Description: Lime avenue.
  • Icehouse
  • Description: The remains of an icehouse, with brickwork removed to ground level.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Eccleshall
History

Detailed History

This medieval estate was the seat of the Bishops of Lichfield, and the earliest recorded castle dates from around the year 1200.
Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here

Owners

    References

    References