Gerards Bromley Hall 1412

Staffordshire, England, Staffordshire, Stafford

Brief Description

The earthworks of the formal gardens survive to the south east of the present house, and are probably Tudor in date. These were later adapted by John Rea. The site consists of three quadrants of a square, 180 metres by 180 metres, in which the house and yard fill the north west quadrant. There are the remains of a series of pools created by damming the Bromley Brook. These may have been part of a later designed landscape.

History

The hall, dated to around 1575, was demolished in 1750.

Detailed Description

Earthworks of the formal garden (probably of Tudor date, and later adapted by John Rea), stand to the the south east of the present house. They are arranged in three quadrants of a square (2180m x 180m), and the house and yard fill the north-west quadrant. There are also emains of a series of pools created by damming Bromley Brook. These may have been part of a later designed landscape.
Features
  • Garden Building
  • Description: There is a range of late 16th and 17th century barns. One contains a plaster frieze depicting a hunting scene.
  • Stable Block
  • Description: There are elaborate 17th and 18th century stable fittings.
  • Earthwork
  • Description: Earthworks of the formal garden.
  • Pool
  • Description: Series of pools.
  • Hall (featured building)
  • Description: The hall, dated to around 1575, was demolished in 1750.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
History

Detailed History

The hall (dating back to about AD 1575) was demolished in 1750, leaving only a ruined porch, dating back to 1584. However, this was removed, and taken to Batchacre Park in 1750. A range of 16th/17th-century barns also remains. One of these contains a plaster friezee depicting a hunting scene. There are also elaborate 17th-18th-century stable fittings.

Period

  • Tudor (1485-1603)
Associated People