The estate underwent numerous changes over the years and had fine grounds, including descending grass terraces leading to a temple. An estate survey of 1754 shows a series of ponds, walled garden, and square 'pleasure ground' with three variously shaped ponds and a mount. In the C19th J W Pawson made further improvements, probably planting monkey puzzle trees, a number of which survive. In 1885 it was acquired by the Order of St Vincent and although the ponds are filled in the landscaping between house and temple is not much changed.
The house was formerly Littleberries, built on the site of an earlier house that was altered and improved from 1712 following its acquisition by George Littlebury in 1691.
- Access & Directions
DirectionsTube: Mill Hill East (Northern) then bus. Bus: 240.