Today the school grounds comprise the original house, school buildings, quadrangle, sunken garden, Master’s Lawn, open areas and extensive playing fields, as well as wooded areas, a pond used by a local angling club, a smaller pond and wild life area. There are numerous fine mature trees and also a number of younger trees with plaques commemorating particular pupils or events. The grounds around the main buildings are particularly well planted.
Belmont Mill Hill Preparatory School is on the site of Belmont House, built in 1772. When the estate was sold in 1911 it comprised over 14 hectares of land, including c.4.05 ha. of pleasure grounds. Belmont School opened here in 1912 and its grounds contain remnants of the earlier planting and an early C19th gothic folly, although changes have been made over the years to accommodate new buildings including the chapel of 1925, sports and other educational facilities.
- Access & Directions
DirectionsTube: Mill Hill East (Northern) then bus. Rail: Mill Hill Broadway then bus. Bus: 240, 251.
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
London Parks and Gardens Trust