Over the years additional lands have been purchased and the site expanded to over 100 acres, with many school buildings and extensive sports fields. The grounds contain some of Collinson’s original trees as well as fine trees planted since. In front of the school is the Gate of Honour, a war memorial for ex-pupils who died in the two world wars.
Information about the site dates back to 1321 when it was owned by the Nicoll family. Ridgeway House was built in c.1525 and from 1702 was occupied by a series of Quakers, the most famous of whom was the foremost botanist, Peter Collinson, who lived here from 1749 to his death in 1768. The garden contained an extraordinary range of trees and plants collected from North America and elsewhere in the world. People came from all over Europe to visit his gardens here. In 1807 the property was bought by Mill Hill School who in 1826/7 built the present main school building and demolished Ridgeway House.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site may be visited by prior appointment only.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site may be visited by prior appointment only.
DirectionsTube: Mill Hill East (Northern) then bus. Rail: Mill Hill Broadway then bus. Bus: 240
London Parks and Gardens Trust