Features of coronation gardens include a maze, ornamental gardens, a pond, fountain and the borough's only surviving bandstand.
Coronation Gardens is named for the Coronation of Edward VII and opened in 1903. The site was purchased in 1897 by Leyton Council for a recreation ground and laid out with ornamental gardens, paths and grass areas. It was once part of the medieval manor of Ruckholt and in the 19th century this area of Leyton was largely used for watercress beds. The borough's only surviving bandstand was erected here in 1904 and the park became a popular venue for events and concerts. In 1922 a War Memorial Fountain was unveiled near the west entrance and a garden of remembrance was opened at the east end in 1945.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open from 9am - half hour before sunset.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open from 9am - half hour before sunset.
DirectionsTube: Leyton (Central). Bus: 58, 69, 97, 158
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)