Lying across Oliver Road from the more formal landscaping of Coronation Gardens, the Extension provided recreation and sports facilities on former Lammas land, which was acquired piecemeal by the Council from 1904 on.
Coronation Gardens Extension came into being in the 1920s when Leyton UDC wished to add to the facilities of the existing Coronation Gardens. After World War 2, people who had lost their homes through bombing were provided with temporary housing built on nine of the tennis courts of Coronation Gardens Extension, with the proviso that the land would be returned to its original state when no longer needed. As a result this area was fenced off and used in this way until 1954. Leyton Orient Football Club had temporary offices on the Extension in 1956 and free use of the tennis courts while their new stadium was built close by.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open from 9am - closes half hour before sunset.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open from 9am - closes half hour before sunset.
DirectionsTube: Leyton (Central). Bus: 58, 69, 97, 158
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)