The medieval church of St Mary the Virgin, now flint faced, was rebuilt a number of times over the centuries but retains some Norman elements, an early-13th-century chancel and 15th-century porch. There are medieval fragments within the doorway facing the vicarage. The churchyard has a rural atmosphere and some fine trees including yew, copper beech, horse chestnut, and lime. There are numerous monuments to local dignitaries, including those of John Innes, William Rutlish and Edward Rayne of Raynes Park. A gate in the churchyard leads to Glebe Fields.
Among the worshippers here were Lord Nelson and Lady Hamilton. The suburban development of Merton Park took place from the 1870s initially by John Innes, who was buried here in 1904.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted. Church open 8am-10am weekdays, 10am-noon Saturday, all day Sundays.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted. Church open 8am-10am weekdays, 10am-noon Saturday, all day Sundays.
DirectionsTube: South Wimbledon (Northern), Wimbledon (District). Rail: Wimbledon then bus. Tramlink: Merton Park. Bus: 152, 163, 164
- Medieval (1066-1540)
- 12th Century
Diocese of Southwark
London Parks and Gardens Trust