The present garden was begun in 1987 on what was by then a derelict bomb site. It contains the Worshipful Company of Barbers Herb Garden, a number of commemorative trees, formal and informal areas, and overlooks an area of water towards St Giles Church, whose churchyard once extended here.
Barber-Surgeons' Hall Gardens are on the site of Hadrian's fort around the City of AD122 with remains of a bastion of AD300. The Worshipful Company of Barbers was founded in 1308, whose livery hall stood near here by 1441. In 1540 they amalgamated with the Worshipful Company of Surgeons although the two split again in 1745. There are records of a garden here by 1555 and in 1597 of preparations for a garden of plants advocated by John Gerard,a plantsman famous for his 'Herbal', a Member and later Master of the Company.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: St Paul's (Central), Barbican (Hammersmith & City, Circle, Metropolitan)
- Tudor (1485-1603)
London Parks and Gardens Trust