Following bomb damage in WWII the church was demolished in 1955 apart from the Tower, which was restored in 1964 and later converted to a house. It stands on an island site in the middle of Wood Street, with minimal landscaping. The churchyard had been to the north of the building, now entirely built over by roadway and buildings.
St Alban's Church may have originated as an C8th chapel built by King Offa, founder of St Alban's Abbey. The church was rebuilt in 1633/4 but was badly damaged in the Great Fire of 1666 and rebuilt by Wren, completed in 1685.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: St Paul's (Central); Tube: Moorgate (Hammersmith & City, Circle, Northern, Metropolitan). Rail: Moorgate
- Associated People
Just one person associated to St Alban's Tower
London Parks and Gardens Trust