St John the Evangelist is the old parish church of Coulsdon, a village recorded from Saxon times. The present building is essentially late-13th-century with a 15th-century tower. The graveyard has been enlarged a number of times, and now has a garden of remembrance but is closed for burials. An ancient yew and a great chestnut tree were once found in the churchyard. The lych-gate dates from 1910.
The church is associated with the Byron family, and various family members are buried here. They were major landowners in Coulsdon since 1782 when Thomas Byron purchased Coulsdon Manor and the sub-manor of Hooley. In 1871 Edmund Byron, who had inherited the estate in 1862, provided land to extend the graveyard.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Coulsdon South then bus.
Official WebsiteClick Here
Diocese of Southwark, Croydon South Deanery
London Parks and Gardens Trust