Coulsdon Common includes ancient woodland, chalk grassland and remnants of heath, and has a central pond. Two Corporation of London coal posts mark the 1861 boundary of the London district for the purposes of the tax levied by the City on coal and wine brought into London.
The tax on coal and wine, instigated in 1667 to pay for rebuilding after the Great Fire, was used for other purposes by the C19th, including payment for the Coulsdon Commons. A windmill or postmill was in operation on the common from 1777 -1898; its site is marked south of Stites Hall Road.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Whyteleafe South then bus. Bus: 409, 411, 404, 466
- Medieval (1066-1540)
London Parks and Gardens Trust