Kenley Airfield is the best preserved RAF airfield of its period; 10 of its 12 'fighter pens' or Blast Bays remain in the Croydon section of the site. Although the core remains in Ministry of Defence ownership, substantial areas on the perimeter were transferred back to the Corporation and public access restored to the outer areas of the airfield.
The land was part of Kenley Common, preserved in 1883 through acquisition by the Corporation of London. It was taken for the airfield in 1917 under the Defence of the Realm Act. After WWI the airfield was upgraded for the new RAF and later became an important facility during WWII. It remained an operational airfield until 1978.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is only partially open to the public.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is only partially open to the public.
DirectionsRail: Whyteleafe, Whyteleafe South
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
London Parks and Gardens Trust