After World War 2 Viscount Southwood provided money to convert the churchyard into a garden of remembrance, which opened in 1946. The garden was refurbished and replanted in early 2012.
St James's Church Piccadilly was consecrated in 1684 and is the only one of Sir Christopher Wren's churches to have been built on an entirely new site. Leasehold land was offered by the Earl of St Albans in 1676 and the freehold was granted in 1684, including land to the north and west for burial. In the winter of 1688-89 it became the first London churchyard to be lit by patent lights. The burial ground underwent various improvements during the 18th and 19th centuries and was twice enlarged, in 1749 and 1764. Vaults had been created beneath the north end of the ground by the mid-18th century. The church suffered severe bomb damage in World War 2 and was restored in 1947-54.
- Access & Directions
DirectionsTube: Piccadilly Circus (Piccadilly, Bakerloo), Green Park (Victoria, Piccadilly, Jubilee). Bus: 3, 6, 9, 12, 13, 14, 15, 19, 22, 23, 88, 94, 138, 139, 159
- Associated People
Just one person associated to St James' Churchyard, Piccadilly
Official WebsiteClick Here
The Vicar and Churchwardens of St James's Piccadilly
London Parks and Gardens Trust