Carlton House and gardens were refurbished by John Nash for George IV when Prince of Wales. The whole property was redeveloped c.1830, and the house demolished. Very little now remains.
The former Royal Garden in St James's Park and Spring Garden were leased to Lord Carleton from 1709. When the Prince of Wales took Carlton House in 1733 he asked Burlington to modernise it for him. Kent designed a new garden. The old Spring Garden 'Wilderness' remained, but cut into a labyrinth and Temple, possibly by Kent, set just within its western edge. At the base of its steps, and beyond the drive to the house, was a small grass parade, leading into a broad grass vista down the garden. This was surrounded by groves through which were meandering paths. There were two 'incidents' along the vista; the first being a flower garden in two halves on either side, perhaps added later, surrounded by a Kentian arbour with termed ends; and the second was a circle at the end. The house was refurbished by Nash for George IV when Prince of Wales, but the whole property was redeveloped c.1830, and the house demolished.
- Associated People