The grounds contain some exotic specimen trees, possibly survivals from a C19th arboretum and include a mulberry, Tree of Heaven, Mount Atlas cedar, Holm oak, cork oak, yew, monkey puzzle and magnolia grandiflora. The quality of the environment is an important aspect of the work of the hospice, the gardens providing positive benefit for the patients.
Havering Hall, a large a double-fronted brick house, was built in 1858/9 on the site of an earlier C18th house. From the C18th, gentlemen's villas and parks began to be built in the area around the village of Havering-atte-Bower. The Hall was purchased in 1979 by St Francis Hospice and opened to patients in 1984.
- Access & Directions
DirectionsRail: Romford then bus. Bus: 500, 502
- Victorian (1837-1901)
London Parks and Gardens Trust