Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Dagnam Park, Havering (also known as Dagnams)

Introduction

Now reduced in size from the original, it is a public park with a variety of habitats. Dagnam house was demolished in 1948 as was Cockerels house to the south, known as Dagnam Park Farm in the 19th century and standing outside a moated site, part of the moat surviving today. The public park preserves its 18th-century boundaries, together with some of the landscaped features, specimen trees and ponds; a curving track that crosses the park follows the line of the 18th-century drive. Hatters Wood, Havering's largest woodland, is now within the public park.

Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts
History

Dagnam Park developed around a moated Elizabethan manor house, to which were added formal gardens in the early-18th century, including a round pond in front of the house. In 1772 Sir Richard Neave purchased the estate and built a Georgian mansion. In 1812 he commissioned Humphry Repton to advise, and he wrote of his improvements to the water in his 'Fragments' (1816). The walled garden was converted into a rose garden in the late-19th century. In the 1940s London County Council built the Harold Hill Estate on part of the grounds and the house was demolished in the 1950s. The remaining parkland was designated a recreation area.

Period

  • Late 18th Century
  • 18th Century
Associated People
Features & Designations

Designations

  • Green Belt

  • Site of Local Importance for Nature Conservation

Key Information

Type

Landscape Park

Purpose

Public Park

Principal Building

Parks, Gardens And Urban Spaces

Period

Late 18th Century

Survival

Part: ground/below ground level remains

Hectares

76

Open to the public

Yes

References

References