Trees in the area south of the nave include London plane, gingko, maple, lime, ash, mulberry and eucalyptus. In the north are some of the oldest plane trees in the City and a giant fir tree; at the south gate is a rose garden.
The churchyard gardens are part of the precincts of St Paul's Cathedral and an important part of its setting. The first cathedral was erected in 604 and the present cathedral by Christopher Wren is the 5th on the site. His third design was accepted in 1675 and building took 35 years, completion marked by the statue of Queen Anne erected in 1712. By 1870 the cathedral precinct consisted of 5 sites comprised of former churchyards and the cathedral forecourt. The churchyards were closed for burial and negotiations to create recreational open space began in 1874, with agreement reached with the Dean and Chapter in 1878. The gardens were opened by the Lord Mayor on 22 September 1879.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is in part unrestricted; part open 6am - 4pm winter, - 8pm summer.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is in part unrestricted; part open 6am - 4pm winter, - 8pm summer.
DirectionsTube: St Paul's (Central); Mansion House (District, Circle). Bus: 4, 11, 15, 17, 23, 26, 100, 172
- Associated People
London Parks and Gardens Trust