The cemetery was laid out with a series of straight drives having circular areas at intersections. An axial yew-lined drive leads from the main entrance to two circular beds, one planted with yew and containing tombs, the second with a deodar; the walk across the axis between these two circles is now unnecessarily accentuated by birch planting. The Gothic style cemetery buildings were designed by Charles Jones. Within the older part of the cemetery the planting is mainly sycamore, some holly and a boundary planting of yew. The cemetery is now closed to new burials, and only used for burials in re-opened family owned graves.
The Cemetery was opened in 1861 by the Ealing and Old Brentford Burial Board, which had been formed in 1858 when burial space in the parish churchyard was running out.
Visitor FacilitiesOpen: 8am weekdays, 9am weekends. Closing: 4.30pm Nov-Feb; 5.30pm Mar, Oct; 7pm Sept, Apr; 8pm May-Aug.
Detailed DescriptionSouth Ealing Cemetery was established by the Ealing and Old Brentford Burial Board in 1861 when space in the parish churchyard was running out. The cemetery was laid out with a series of straight drives with circular areas at intersections and an axial drive leading from the main entrance to two circular beds. The Gothic style cemetery buildings included 2 lodges, stone gate piers, and a pair of chapels joined by a porte-cochère. The cemetery was extended in 1907 and 1940. The older area has numerous mature trees and there are some good C19th monuments. Among those buried here is Rt Hon Spencer Walpole MP (d.1898) who owned Pitshanger Manor.
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008); Middlesex County Times 7/12/1907, 30/11/1907, 6/7/1940; Peter Hounsell, 'Ealing and Hanwell Past' (Historical Publications, 1991); Peter Hounsell 'The Ealing Book' (Historical Publications, 2005)
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=EAL049
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpen: 8am weekdays, 9am weekends. Closing: 4.30pm Nov-Feb; 5.30pm Mar, Oct; 7pm Sept, Apr; 8pm May-Aug.
DirectionsTube: South Ealing (Piccadilly). Bus: 65
- Mid 19th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust