Beamish, has been described as one of the outstanding small gardens of England. The house of 1908 is in the English Vernacular style, and the attached garden is divided by formal hedges into a series of sheltered units.
The site at Beamish was acquired in 1908 by Major Garnett-Botfield. He and his wife laid out the garden to accompany the newly constructed house. A comprehensive account of the garden appeared in the Journal of the Royal Horticultural Society (1954), pages 348-56.