The wooded grounds are on a sloping site, with an area of lawn levelled south of the hospital and the north-east woodland developed on an abandoned orchard and garden. Some trees from the former planting remain.
Atkinson Morley Hospital was built near the former site of the C18th Prospect Place, which had gardens laid out by Humphry Repton in the late C18th/early C19th. Later known as Cottenham Park, the estate was sold for development in the early 1850s. Part of the site was acquired for the new hospital in 1863, which opened in 1869; the old house was pulled down and the hospital laundry built on its site.
- Access & Directions
DirectionsRail: Wimbledon, Raynes Park then bus. Tube: Wimbledon (District) then bus. Bus: 200.
- Late 18th Century
- Associated People
Just one person associated to Atkinson Morley Hospital Grounds
London Parks and Gardens Trust