A range of houses designed in 1939 by Elliot Howes for his sisters, each with a separate formal garden. The houses were donated to the Gardener's Royal Benevolent Society in 1970 who constructed two further houses whilst maintaining the original garden layout.
Detailed DescriptionIn 1939 Elliott Howes, a retired banker, designed five houses for his sisters around a courtyard and laid out a formal garden with yew hedges and box topiary on the central axis of the layout. As only one sister wished to live here, he gave the group of houses and garden to the Gardeners' Royal Benevolent Society in 1967.
The Society built a further two houses in 1970 without destroying the original garden layout. The courtyard remains and garden sheds have been arranged either side of the covered gateway. A magnolia has been planted in the courtyard in memory of the first custodian. Around each house is a small garden tended by the occupant. The site is sheltered from westerly winds by a beech hedge and clumps of larch and poplar. The south garden retains old fruit trees whilst a gap in the hedge leads the eye across a field to a group of poplars.
Topiary, Hedge, Courtyard
Detailed HistoryThe Seven Houses were created between 1939 and 1970, as private residences.
- pp 59-60The Gardens of Cambridgeshire