The Docks were finally closed in 1969; the linear wooded park was created by LB Southwark in 1980 from the former Russia Dock basin and part of the old canal wall and boat moorings are still visible. It contains a water feature that connects streams, a canal and lagoon, and two ponds. Numerous species of trees and shrubs were planted.
Russia Dock was once was part of the Surrey Commercial Docks created in 1864 when the various companies owning Rotherhithe's C19th commercial docks amalgamated. Surrey Docks came to cover over 185 hectares, and was particularly important for imported timber.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Canada Water (Jubilee). London Overground: Surrey Quays, Rotherhithe then bus. Bus: 381, C10
London Parks and Gardens Trust